The association
Facebook Twitter

Information about the way
Greenway project
Photo gallery
Green Ways
    Greenway of the Bidasoa

Hiruak Bat

Study conducted in 2011: attendance and assessment of theBidasoa greenway. Includes economic impact.

HISTORY: the train and Bidasoa Greenway
Hiruak Bat


The Bidasoa railway, better known as the “Tren Txikito” (small train), started its days in 1898 as a mining line between Irún and Endarlaza. At the beginning it mainly transported minerals, but it gradually expanded its services to wood, coal, iron and even livestock. In 1916 the line was extended to Elizondo and was opened to the public, servicing passengers bewteen Irún and Elizondo. This represented a major change in the lives of the people of the Baztán-Bidasoa region where the train ran.
Hiruak Bat

The train's route  mainly followed the left bank of the Bidasoa. The total track measured 51.5km and ran over several iron bridges, through eight tunnels and the following stations: Irún-frontera, Irún-Bidasoa, Arteaga, Behobia, San Miguel, Endarlaza, Zalain, Alkaiaga, Bera, Etxalar-Lesaka, Igantzi-Arantza, Espelosín, Sunbilla, Santesteban-Elgorriaga, Legasa, Narbarte, Erreparazea, Oronoz-Mugairi, Arraioz, molino de Irurita, Irurita-Lekaroz, Colegio de Lekaroz and Elizondo.

There were four large and three small engine rooms. There were carriages of all classes and goods of up to twenty tonnes could be carried per car. In 1936 the railway had a total of 109 carriages.

The postwar years were hard in terms of acquiring fuel and profitability. In 1953 floods destroyed a 400-metre stretch of tracks, leading to major repair works.

The train made its last trip on 31 December 1956.
Send to a friend
Google +


Agrupación Turística BAZTAN-BIDASOA - Centre for rural tourism - 31720 Oieregi  Tel: 948 59 23 23 - info@baztan-bidasoa.com
Privacy Policy  -  Legal notice  -  Use /Conditions - All rights reserved - Partner Access
Spanish | English | French | Basque
Web design and development: Imaginanet